Cyberonics reneged on its "Lifetime Reimbursement Guarantee". Click on the image to learn how you can help...

Friday, October 17, 2014

A patient’s experience with rTMS…

To the readers,

As many of you know I have through the years primarily devoted my efforts toward educating and sharing my knowledge and experiences as it relates to one particular therapy option; VNS Therapy for Depression.

While I continue to do so I am also a strong vocal mental health advocate/activist for any therapy option which safely and reasonably offers the potential for wellness with minimum potential for serious side-effects. One such treatment I have been following has been TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation). I have been allowed to share some recent correspondence I’ve had with a young woman currently utilizing TMS for her depressive illness. The correspondence is self-explanatory and copied and pasted below.

Herb

 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Paulette (Redacted)
Oct 12 (5 days ago)

to me

Hi Herb,

On the one hand, I wish I had responded to you sooner.  On the other hand, had I been able to, I would not so desperately have needed the treatments.  I have finished my first four weeks out of six weeks of daily treatments; then I will taper from three to two  to once per week.

I was happy to have been considered eligible for the treatments, but I think the treatment is so new, they will qualify anybody just to build a data-base of outcomes.

I was told the chances were only 50% that it would work; then I was given the three strikes against me: the very strong and broad family history; my unspeakably brutal childhood; and the decades I went without treatment.  But I can clearly tell it is working.

In Ohio, rTMS is covered by Medicare and, because I am so very poor, I'm on state QMB - Qualified Medicaid Beneficiary - which picked up the co-pay that would have been around $1500.  I forget how soon, but I will be allowed at least one "tune-up."

I hope this info helps.  Feel free to respond should you like more.

Peace,

Paulette

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Herb <vnsdepression@gmail.com>

Oct 12 (5 days ago)

to Paulette

Dear Paulette,

I am so very glad to hear from you and more importantly I am absolutely thrilled to not only read you were able to obtain the rTMS Therapy but most importantly the fact that you're responding to the treatment.  Bravo for you that you were willing to venture forth and try something new and different.  When Joyce enrolled in the trial for VNS Therapy for Depression we had absolutely no idea of the potential efficacy for depression.  Then again, it wouldn't have made any difference to us as we were desperate and at that point anything was worth a try. 

As it turned out it was the best decision we could have made and the results for Joyce have been nothing less than remarkable.

I hope you continue to improve and that your insurance covers all your costs.

Thanks for letting me know as it makes me feel good to know others are finding relief one way or another.

I wonder if you would allow me to share our email discussions on my blog site as a means to encourage others to not give up while I also endorse patient education and encourage hope. I shall redact any reference to your email address and only leave your first name. Please do let me know and from time to time please update me on how you’re doing.

Sincerely,

Herb

Joyce and Herbert Stein

1008 Trailmore Lane

Weston, FL 33326-2816

(954) 349-8733

vnsdepression@gmail.com

http://www.vnstherapy-herb.blogspot.com

http://www.vnstherapy.wordpress.com

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Paulette (Redacted)

6:35 PM (4 hours ago)

to me

Hi Herb,

Thanks for your good wishes.  Yes, you may use my story in your blog.

Peace,

Paulette

No comments:

Post a Comment