Cyberonics reneged on its "Lifetime Reimbursement Guarantee". Click on the image to learn how you can help...

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mr. Craig Malisow of the Houston Press would like to hear from you…

Mr. Craig Malisow of the Houston Press would like to hear from you…

Dear Friends and Physicians,

As you may or may not know I have been diligently advocating for our cause.  That is to get Medicare/Medicaid to cover the medical costs for VNS Therapy Depression volunteer study subjects or for Cyberonics to honor their public statements to these patients for “Lifetime Reimbursement Guarantee for All TRD IDE Study Patients”.

There is an investigative reporter who has penned previous articles about Cyberonics who is interested in our unique story.  The gentleman’s name is Craig Malisow of the Houston Press.

At the same time I am asking the medical professionals and anyone else who has knowledge of these patients to please pass along and share this information with them.

Mr. Malisow would like to hear from any and all of the VNS Therapy Depression Patients as well as the medical professionals as it relates to the challenges we are facing being denied medical insurance reimbursement for replacement, ex-plantation and/or care.  Please contact him at:

Craig Malisow

Houston Press

(713) 280-2481

craig.malisow@houstonpress.com

I cannot over emphasize the importance of advocating for one’s own wellness and not standing by in silence.  If I can be of any assistance my additional contact information is listed below.

Sincerely,

Herb

Joyce and Herbert Stein

1008 Trailmore Lane

Weston, FL 33326-2816

(954) 349-8733

vnsdepression@gmail.com

http://www.vnstherapy-herb.blogspot.com

http://vnstherapy.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

  1. I have just sent the following to Mr. Malisow:
    I am a 41 year old grandmother who has suffered from depression for almost 20 years. I have attempted suicide many times. On my best days, I did not care if I lived or died. Depression has cost me a career as an accountant, almost destroyed my relationship with my only child. I lost 5 years with my daughter because I could not care for her and I let my ex-husband have custody of her. He told her that I did not love or want her and I did not get to see her for 5 years. I was first hospitalized in 1998, then again six more times before October 2006. I have spent over 83 days in various psychiatric hospitals and have had over 18 ECTs. None of which helped for more than a month at a time. In October 2006 I was at the very end of my ability to go on. I think God every day that my doctor told me about VNS therapy. After all I had tried that failed, I had no hope that VNS therapy would be any different.

    To my surprise, after just a few months, I started to feel the crushing weight of my depression slowly lift. I felt as if my life had been saved. I have no doubt that I would have been dead within a year if I had not been lucky enough to get the VNS during the window of opportunity between the FDA approval and CMS national decision to decline coverage. Medicare covered my surgery and implant in October 2006. I did not have any more hospitalizations or ECTs until my VNS battery failed in 2011. I have been told that even though I have a Medicare advantage plan, I can not get coverage for the replacement of my VNS.

    I have lived in some of the blackest days of my life since my VNS stopped working. The only reason that I have not been hospitalized more is that I no longer believe that it will do any good. I can not care for my self or even leave my house. My life is very much at stake.

    Tami Gee
    firetlg@aol.com

    ReplyDelete